Long time no post… 🙁 yes i know, it’s been a while since i last posted something up. But work has been taking up a lot of my time lately, no much time available to post something on the blog…
Just to sum up what i have been doing lately…
Working on AJAX, creating a module to simulate Google Suggest
Reading a lot on AJAX
Got the book Head First Design Patterns and reading it everyday… ( I will make a new post on this book when i am finish, it a great book)
Also implemented an RSS generator module
No need to say that all these are based upon ASP.NET
Till i get some more time to post some new stuff, hold on. 😉
And just for you not to get in too depressed about this post, that relates about 1 month of what i have been doing, here where i relax every weekend… 🙂
Short for search engine optimization, the process of increasing the amount of visitors to a Web site by ranking high in the search results of a search engine. The higher a Web site ranks in the results of a search, the greater the chance that that site will be visited by a user. It is common practice for Internet users to not click through pages and pages of search results, so where a site ranks in a search is essential for directing more traffic toward the site.
There are must be more than thousands of checklist for SEO on the web. I have been involved in some SEO lately and would like to share this experience. This is a quick list that will make sure that you climb up your page rank with Search Engine you will most likely go to be on the first page of Google.
I’ll take the example of some website who produces and sells boat models.
- Make sure that the pages are well planned and consistent
- Make use of well structured sentences that always reflect what user might type in to get to your website
- Do not spam your pages with keywords
- Do not put too much content on a page, because users won’t read them all.
- If you have a page for displaying for e.g a boat model “The Bounty” make sure that you mention “The Bounty”
as much as you can on the page. e.g The heading of the page, the link to historical background to the boat, in the description of the model itself. This will will help you gain evidence that this page is related to “The Bounty”
- Get backlinked whenever possible
- Each time your backlinked, that is another website if pointing on yours, you get some influence on the search engine. You should make sure that you “buzz” your website as much as possible. Try forums and so on.
- Make sure that the website your backlinked to is related to your bussiness background. E.g your won’t post your link on a Computer Programming Forum, this does not make anysense. Taking the e.g of the boat models website what could make sense are some souvenir website or even collectioners website to get backlinked from.
- Make extensive use of metatags keywords, description, abstract
- These are very important make sure that you include these on everypage that you want to be referenced by the search engine
- Also make sure that these reflects the content of your page. do not use keywords that are not even found in your page, this will not make any sense and the search engine bot might just ignore it. e.g if you have “boat, model, miniature, ship, bounty” in your keyword meta tag. Make sure that these keywords are mentioned in your page content.
- Make use of URL Rewritting
- Using URL Rewritting will be very benefit to your website. This will boost up your website referencing. Take for example of bussiness of boat models. If i have a decriptive page of my boat model the page URL should be something like that www.boatmodel.com/The_Bounty_Model.html instead of something like that www.boatmodel.com/Product.php?p=10223
- These URL will help your website gain in web rank. As for meta tags the keywords in those user friendly URL should also be present in your page content.
- The most and not the least make your website comfortable and easy to use.
- This is only a small talk about website usability, Your website should be as simple as possible depending on what is your audience. you should put in mind that not everyone is as expert as your developer. normal people don’t know that they must double click on some menu for something to happen of you should drag and drop some stuff in your browser for some other things to happen. Thus first place emphasis on the usability of your website, to make sure that when a user comes once, he/she will always want to be back some other time, because the website is very friendly and make me want to be back
This is a little of what i have learned for SEO. Hope that this can be of help.
yesterday, the second employee of the company started, she will be helping me out in the development and maintenance of the website. 🙂 i’ll have to show her everything about the web site architecture how it works and how to make modification, once this done serious work can start for both of us… the planning is simple…
Technologies that are changing the web 🙂